Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hi everyone!  It's Katie!  Today is Wednesday, and so far my experience here in Zambia has been unreal.  Over the past few days I have witnessed, experienced and done so much that I can't tell you all of it, but I can give you the highlights.  I have gone to St. Anthony's, the children's orphanage, multiple times.  I love to go there because playing with the kids and seeing the joy that I can bring them in the short mount of time that I spend with them is the coolest thing!  For a lot of the time that I was at the orphanage I was in the baby room!  In the room there are 16 cribs each with a child in it, some with two!  Every single kid would want to be pick up and if you ever set one down he/she would start crying.  So instead of just holding one child, I would go from crib to crib and play with each kid for about thirty seconds, then move to the next crib.  This brought me so much joy doing this because every time I would get to a new child, they would immediately start smiling and laughing.  I was thrilled to know that I was able to bring them happiness at least for that little amount of time.  While I was in the baby room I made a special connection with a little boy named Moses.  He is supposed to be three but he looked like he was only one.  His two middle fingers are formed together and one of his eyes doesn't open all the way, but he is the sweetest boy ever!  I walked in and he immediately smiled at me; I picked him up and would tickle his tummy, he would just laugh and laugh!  All of the other days that I have gone back to St. Anthony's, Moses would see me and immediately smile and reach to be picked up, one time he even tried to climb out of his crib to get to me :)  It was inspiring to see how much of a difference I could make on a persons life in that short amount of time,

No comments:

Post a Comment