Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday, June 15th 2014 (Father's Day)

Grace

Hello everyone and happy Father's Day to all the dads at home!

     I had the pleasure of sharing yet another day in Zambia with my dad (Tim); this trip has greatly impacted the both of us. This being my second year, I have a different perspective than I had last year. Mass is still immensely powerful and this year we stayed on the Fatima campus to celebrate mass with the Sisters and Fatima students. The Fatima girls' contagious energy filled the entire room as they celebrated mass with dancing, singing and drumming. We all agreed that we wouldn't mind it if mass in the US resembled the vivacious mass here in Zambia. As my dad said this morning, being among the Sisters and Fatima girls "feels like being in the presence of the living God".

     I know many of the previous bloggers have given detailed explanations of St. Anthony's Orphanage and what we do there; we had the honor of spending another day with the St. Anthony's residents this afternoon. I don't know how else to explain what it is like to be at St. Anthony's other than to say it is the most humanizing experience I have ever had in my life. Sharing time with another human being, truly being with them, with a singular motive to understand them, nurture them and connect with them, touches your soul. The children are free of judgement and being in their presence, feeling their small hands reach for yours, and small voices calling your name is like seeing love in its most raw form. It is always painful to leave St. Anthony's and as we drive away I am always torn between painful sensations of loss and grief and overwhelming joy having been able to know the St. Anthony's children if only for a mere matter of hours. I truly believe we all left with a child's face burning in our minds and an endless prayer in our hearts for their happiness and prosperity. This experience has made me extremely grateful for my parents and most importantly on this day, my father.

Again, happy Father's Day, and "good night" from all of Team Mutomo!

No comments:

Post a Comment