Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Clare
Today in Zambia a group of 6 girls and 4 chaperones all went to a remote place where people gather monthly to receive medical help. I had the honor of working with Doctor Grutzner in the dentistry area. This experience was inexplicable in the way that hundreds of women and their children walk to this area in the middle of nowhere to receive dental and medical care. I was a bit shocked when we first arrived because the working area for the dental exam was a very small hut with no lighting and two chairs. At home, I am used to a large office with various utensils used for the examination, but we made do with a small room.  
I had never truly understood the differences in dental hygiene and physical health of another country until I had the opportunity to work today. I was shocked with the insane amounts of tooth decay that occurred with the majority of women and children that came to visit us today. My eyes were opened to how difficult it truly is living in a country where the people don’t have a doctor and dentist to go to every time they have pain.
After staying with Doctor Grutzner, I left and sat and observed Doctor Sicoli perform medical exams on children. I was astonished at the amount of respiratory problems these children had. Seeing the numerous medical issues that every child suffered with, I was able to realize how lucky I am to have immediate care every time I have the slightest pain. An obstacle we faced today was the language barriers between us and each patient. Every woman and child spoke Bemba only, making the exams more difficult to communicate the problem. Thankfully, both Doctor Sicoli and Doctor Grutzner had a translator to help them communicate.
Throughout this trip I have encountered true poverty, and this experience has almost made me embarrassed by the way I live at home. I have a greater appreciation for the mothers that live here in Zambia who were willing to walk for miles just to seek medical attention.
Everyone on Team Mutomo worked incredibly hard today and I am very excited for what will come in the future on this trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment