Thursday, June 18, 2015

Team Mutomo June 17th, 2015

June 17th, 2015
Erin

Due to technical difficulties, I was unable to post yesterday and I am glad to get a chance to communicate today.

As many have been stating several times, today was another very exciting day for Team Mutomo! We were able to tour/teach at two different schools. The first school was a day-school for boys and girls and it was ran by the Dominican sisters. This school was meant for those who have physical and/or learning disabilities. The second school we visited was an all-girls school, which happens to be a (friendly) rival of Fatima School!

When arriving at the first school, we walked along the newly-built school classrooms, which had previously been in big storage containers. As a Team, we were instantly filled with the anticipation of working, teaching, and playing with the students. At this school, there are a little under 800 kids ranging from 1st-10th grade! Each grade is given a break time during the school day, similar to the 20-minute one we have at Visitation after our two class periods. When we arrived, many younger kids, perhaps 1st or 2nd grader, and 9th graders, swarmed us eagerly waiting to ask us questions and play with our hair! They even attempted to teach us a few sayings, which of course, I completely butchered. Many asked what grade we were in and our age. At the school, it is not surprising to have a 17-year-old in 8th or 9th grade, so they were very shocked when I revealed I am a 15-year-old going into my 11th grade year. We also got to go into their classes and witness what they were learning. I went to one of the three 9th grade classes where I learned (more) English, and business! I found it so cool and interesting to be in a business class and I definitely wish Visitation offered that to us. In fact, many schools in Zambia teach home economics and other classes where the skills are much needed and used.

The second school in Ndola is for the girls-only was very impressive. I found several similarities between Ndola School, Visitation, and Fatima School: all-girls, uniforms, similar classes with each grade, same amount of classes, etc.... At the Ndola school, it was a great pleasure to meet Sister Grace, who was formerly a teacher at Fatima, but transferred to become the headmistress of the Ndola School. At the end of our tour there, I could truly see why she was loved so much and I now have that same appreciation and love,

Much love from all of Team Mutomo.

No comments:

Post a Comment