Wednesday, June 15, 2016

An Amazing Experience

Hi! This is Brigid Skeffington, and I am excited to share a little bit about my experience in Zambia so far with you. This was my first time travelling to Zambia and I was not really sure what to expect. I soon learned that although many things are very different here, some things are also still the same. One of the similar things that has really struck me is the friendliness of all the people. Wherever we go, all the people around instantly wave and greet us with a "How are you?" and a big smile. These smiles and greetings have made me feel really welcome here, and they have been a constant day-brightener. This welcoming attitude was also embodied by the students at the Fatima school when we recently spent a day shadowing. The multitude of questions could become a little overwhelming, but I was happy to share all about my life with them and learn all about theirs. I also saw many smiles on the faces of the children at the orphanage and in the surrounding villages. One of my favorite experiences here so far, has been brightening these children's smiles by giving them soccer balls. I have really enjoyed giving them something that brings so much joy to my life and then seeing that joy reflected in them. Zambia is an absolutely wonderful country, and I am looking forward immensely to the rest of my time here.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brigid and the rest of Team Mutomo! I am writing from Costa Rica, with rain pouring on the roof. I'm so glad you got to share soccer with the kids you're working with. Thinking of all of you, -Mrs. Miller

    ReplyDelete