Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Returning to this wonderful place

Hello all, this is Andrea Feltz! Returning to Zambia again this year has been a very interesting experience that I have loved dearly. Coming back to this wonderful place and seeing all of the sisters and people of Ndola that I had the chance to get to know last year has been such a blessing. I feel so lucky to have been able to return to Ndola and spend more of my time with such welcoming and happy people. Everyday here has been such an amazing one, it is so hard for me to sum up my experience and thoughts into a paragraph blog post. All in all, I have had an eye opening experience that has made me think about my life back at home and the concept of life in general. During my first visit to Zambia, seeing the simplicity of these peoples lives was hard for me to actually understand and comprehend. While talking to them and seeing their village, I never was able to grasp the fact that this is their everyday life, not something that they just do once and awhile. I constantly highlighted in my head everything they were missing: toilets, running water, showers, kitchens, beds, the list goes on and on. It is so easy to focus on all of the things they don't have, but upon returning and re-seeing these things, I reacted slightly different. I haven't found myself crying or being overly upset about the situations I have witnessed. At first, I was confused about my lack of emotion, but after a few days things became clearer. Returning to Ndola has made me realize the little things that I can do to make those little differences in the lives of those around me. I have enjoyed my time in Zambia dearly, and I think the rest of the team can say the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment